Photos on Flicker

Christine Denis Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Abstract and update

I have to say that this week's 365 challenge was really tested! I think it's because I had 4 days of training (Business Analysis: how to gather and document user requirements... ugh) which sucked the creative life force from me, big time!! It was an intense 4 day course (which was relevant to my job, but too intense for right now). So after fighting traffic to get home, trying to make dinner, putting the kids to sleep, I was so dead tired, that taking a photo was the last thing I wanted to do! But, on the bright side I did manage to get a couple photos for the challenge this week: Abstract. Here it is:

I took this of the backs of the computers
in my photography class.


A close up of a fleece blanket.
(It's ironic, Jen has a similar photo! Her's is a fleece sweater though)

And unfortunately that is all I have for abstract. And my photos for the other days during the week were all pretty lame, so it will be hard to scrap them, but I will...

Yesterday was a jammed packed day of fun. It started with Abby's ballet class. My Mom came to watch this time, so we stayed in the room and I took some photos. (note to self: must learn how to take photos under florescent and low light when action is involved!)




After Ballet, we met Shawna and Paige for lunch at Chelsea's Pub. She came up to Chelsea to be my first subject for a photo shoot. She is 7 months pregnant, so she wanted some maternity shots of her, to scrapbook later. Here are just few shots.




It was really fun, because Shawna is a good model, she isn't shy and loves to laugh, so you can say whatever you want and you'll get a laugh out of her :) I also found it to be a great experience for me as the photographer. I learned a lot in this short 1 1/2 hour session:

1. Black on Black doesn't work (duh), however, I like the effect in some photos.
2. I need a wider angle lens which has the speed (like they always say - you need good glass!!), next time I'll rent a wider angle lens, because while I loved what my 50 mm 1.4 gave it didn't have enough play in the wide-angleness!
3. Wait until the subject is bigger in the belly! I'm sure Shawna feels big enough, but she wasn't big enough to really get the money pregnancy shots.
4. Need a better backdrop system, this curtain thing just doesn't work for me!!
5. Print out a book of sample poses, and ideas so that when the ideas start to wain, and we are both getting tired, we can take a peek at it and get some inspiration.

Otherwise, it being my first time doing this, I was extremely happy with how they turned out. I got about 16 printable shots for a 1 1/2 hour session. With practice and experience, I'd like to get that up to at least 20-30 for a 2 hour session. Another positives were:

1. I loved it and can't wait to do it again, and again! And learn more each time.
2. The light in this room was perfect - I'm really lucky to have this resource at hand and that I don't need to worry about setting up lighting as well as a studio;
3. I think the shots of Shawna are beautiful and she'll have some great memories to keep;
4. She is willing to do it again when she is closer to her due date, so clearly it wasn't a total disaster for her;
5. Learned a lot, and have a lot of lessons learned to build from.

Anyone want to be my next guinea pig?? :)

Off to get ready for Vegas, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to blog for the next week. Can't wait to see what I can take photos of!




2 comments:

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Pick me, pick me! Or one of my kids to be your next model.
Shawna looks great. You did a good job.

Unknown January 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Vegas??? Hmmm, how did I miss that bit of info. Play double 00's on the roulette!! Have fun. Love the photo shoot shots, you are inspiring me. You are lucky to have that. I was thinking of painting a wall white where I get the sun shinning in but it is a small room, not sure that will work???
Good shots of the computer too.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP