Photos on Flicker

Christine Denis Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Teeth and Tired

I went to the dentist yesterday with Gillian. You may be thinking to yourself that she is too young to be seeing a dentist at 14 months, but I had a suspicion that things weren't right in her mouth. She got her teeth in all the wrong order after the first two bottom teeth pushed through at 7 months. After the first two bottom the top two front teeth are supposed to come, but in Gillian's case her eye teeth pushed through (or what I think are her eye teeth). Next came the molars (which usually come at a year), and then came the front teeth, the bottom eye teeth and her canines - yes all at the same time! while the rest of her teeth continued to grow, her two front teeth pushed through the skin and then basically stopped growing for a couple of months, and that is where the worrying started. Then my friend came over for dinner with her son and she mentioned that he would probably have to have his Frenulum on his upper lip snipped, because it was extending too far down and would eventually cause him to have a gap in his front teeth. So it made me thing about Gillian and her problems and decided to call the dentist the next day.


I went and it wasn't great news. The frenum is a problem, but it's not what is causing her front teeth not to grow. Not only are they not growing, when you pull her gums back you can see two teeth way up in her gums starting to push through, defintely not in the right place. He thought that perhaps there is some serious crowding going on, she has a bad over bite (not sure how he saw that...) and that her two bottom teeth are resting directly on the top teeth, further preventing them from advancing. He is going to give me a referal to a pediatric ortho. for a consultation, but basically said that there isn't much that can be done at this stage, because she is so young. But I look forward to what the pediatric ortho will say... so stay tuned!

Despite her teeth, she is still beautiful to me!!

Other than that craziness, an aquantance of Eric's passed away a couple of days ago. He was in a car crash around the same time that Gillian was born (He made the unfortunate choice to drive home drunk and drove off the road), which left him in a semi-comatose state, and after 15 months of fighting, I guess he lost the fight. I only met him a couple of times, but its really is a sad story and I feel for his parents.

So needless to say this week has left us very tired and so we are looking forward to a nice weekend, a fire in our outdoor fire pit, and good quality family time! Hope you all have that too!

1 comments:

Anonymous August 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

I'm so sorry to hear about Eric's friend. That must be tough.

I'll wait to hear more about Gillian's pediatric ortho appt. I have a feeling Precious will be there eventually too as all her teeth are crooked and overlapping already and she's only 2. I'm taking her to the dentist in November and we'll see what they think.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP