Photos on Flicker

Christine Denis Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My friend Jen

On Sunday Aug 15th I came home from shopping with Abby to have my husband give me the shocking and sad news that my friend Jen had taken her life on Aug 14th. She was a young professional woman, mother of two beautiful girls, wife to Matt and an aspiring photographer. But, most importantly she was my friend. We met at Neuchatel Junior College in September 1992 and quickly became best friends, spending all of our time together, traveling together around Europe and getting in trouble together. We arrived as kids, experienced the excitement, the challenge and the joy of living abroad, which allowed us to grow up, gain confidence and return home as different people - as adults. After graduating we both attended UBC, and while we were in different faculties, with different friends, we still remained good friends. Trips to Whistler to ski, Rowing on the UBC rowing crew, and the infamous beer gardens, we still managed to have loads of fun. We again graduated, Jen got married, I moved to Ottawa then Taiwan, then back to Ottawa again, but through all this we kept in touch, and eventually discovered the convenience of Skype. We spoke often about photography, and kids, as we were both launching a small photography business and were experiencing the same struggles and frustrations of doing so.

When I heard the news I was shocked, I had no idea she was unhappy. I was so sad to have lost a good friend, someone to talk to about the business, and life. I was sad for her family, especially her children and husband. But even with all the questions, the guilt, the feelings of wishing to have been able to do something more, and the sadness, I had to look back at our friendship, and cherish what we had, what we experienced and know that she will forever me in my memories as my happy, crazy, argumentative, stubborn, smart, creative friend. Here are a few memories from our year to share.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Suicide is a scary thing, I don't profess to understand it, and no one can. Just remember to hug your best friends, tell them how much they mean to you, and talk to them honestly and openly. We all struggle and get down, it's nothing to be afraid of, or ashamed of, you don't have to suffer alone.

I'll miss you Jen, have a beer with Andrew will ya, it's on me!

2 comments:

Anonymous August 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Christine - I'm so sorry for your loss. It hurts me to think about the pain Jen must have felt and also the pain of those she left behind.

I'm sending you a virtual hug right now!

Sam September 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

So sorry about your friend Jen. I can totally relate.

Samantha

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP