Photos on Flicker

Christine Denis Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Value of Backing Up

I like to think that I'm pretty organized, I also like to think that I'm diligent about backing things up like my photos, my documents, my taxes etc. This theory was kind of put to the test last week when my computer spontaneously started to crash and reboot itself over and over again. I was just able to get an e-mail off to Francois, my computer guy, saying that my computer was starting to act funny (I think it heard me) when, poof I got the black screen of death. My brain immediately went into panic mode trying to figure out when I last backed up my photos. Ironically two weeks ago I decided to move ALL of my images onto two EHD and changed my downloading and any work I did to one of them rather than my computer's hard drive. So now everything I did was off of my 2TB EHD. So I was pretty confident that if my computer's hard drive was fried, I wouldn't be loosing much. Thankfully in the end it turned out to be the motherboard that bit the bullet, and it was easily replaced, all data I had on my computer's hard drive was saved, and everything was fine. The only inconvenience was not having my computer for 4 days and then having to install all my programs on again. Since the last time I replaced my computer, I've moved to using my e-mail strickly through the web, and similarly with bookmarking, I change to using Delicious. So whatever I can save on-line I will. Very useful when your system crashes!

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP